In 2013, the year that the Phocaean city was named a European Capital of Culture, the InterContinental Marseille – Hotel Dieu opened just a short distance from the Old Port. The hotel will be celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, with a series of special events and initiatives beginning on 25 April 2023 and focusing on three themes, aimed at customers, locals and employees.
Get a sneak peek at the main lines now!
Leslie Cherfils, General Manager
Celebrating our 10th anniversary in 2023 means honouring our past while committing to our future.
The event of the month!
See you on Wednesday May 31st from 7 p.m. for the grand Opening Party, an exceptional evening organized with the crew of La Villa Schweppes and the prestigious Minuty! La terrazza di Capian makes you discover its new partner Disaronno Velvet all summer long.
Book your tickets!
Choose your individual entry with a cocktail, or enjoy the offer including a cocktail and a finger food of your choice.
Honouring our past
As its name suggests, the history of the InterContinental Marseille – Hotel Dieu is intimately connected to the history of the city, given its location inside the old Hôtel-Dieu, which was the Phocean city’s main hospital as far back as 1593. For its anniversary, the hotelier aims to give everyone the chance to (re)discover this shared heritage and its many secrets through a variety of activations:
- The first event took place on Tuesday, 25 April 2023, the hotel’s exact anniversary date, with an exclusive conference, “10 ans, et avant…la belle histoire de l’Hôtel Dieu” (“10 years and before that… the grand history of the Hôtel-Dieu”), led by Judith Aziza, a historian with a PhD in History from Aix-Marseille University. See our video here !
- Do you have a great story to tell about the Hôtel-Dieu and its past? Beginning on 25 April, the hotel’s website will be collecting all kinds of testimonials!
- Curious minds can take an audio guided tour using the Phonomade app, which will be available in French and English for guests staying at the hotel or dining at one of its restaurants. Click here to listen the podcast.
- And since you can’t have a past without culture, the InterContinental Marseille – Hotel Dieu is happy to be partnering with the three major institutions in its neighbourhood that are also celebrating their 10th anniversaries this year: the Mucem (Museum of the Civilizations of Europe and the Mediterranean), the Regards de Provence Museum and the FRAC (Regional Collection of Contemporary Art) to create new tourist packages including admission tickets.
- What if we could see things from a new point of view? A brand-new exhibition entitled 10 ans, 10 artistes (“10 Years, 10 Artists”) will bring together the work of 10 talented local artists sharing their own visions of the Hôtel-Dieu. Serge Scotto, Pierre Piech, Laurier, Louella Coll, Yannick Martin from Studio Wha-t, Marie Doazan, Rosaquarelle, Barka, Vincher Factor and Paola Cervoni will all be participating! A free exhibition in the hotel lobby beginning on 15 June 2023. More information to follow.
- Lastly, for the first time in 10 years, the InterContinental Marseille – Hotel Dieu will be opening its doors for the European Heritage Days on 16 and 17 September next. Guided tours will be offered four times a day. More information to follow.
This year promises to be full of festivities and surprises!
- The hotel’s teams are already eager to resume the pace of previous successful events at the hotel (more information to follow over the course of the year):
- First BBQ Chic of the year on Thursday, 11 May, and then every Thursday through the end of the September
- Terrace Opening Party on Wednesday, 31 May
- Mother’s Day Brunch on Sunday, 4 June
- Father’s Day Brunch on Sunday, 18 June
- World Music Day on Wednesday, 21 June
- Special BBQ Chic on Friday, 14 July, with a view of the fireworks over the Old Port
- Terrace Closing Party in October
- Capian Bar’s famous “Soirée Cachée” (Secret Party) in November
- And don’t forget the magic of Christmas and the Winter Wonderland tea in December, which will have plenty of presents in store for young and old alike!
- The hotel’s bars and restaurants will be on board starting on 25 April, with a special 10th anniversary cocktail at the Capian Bar, a signature dish at Les Fenêtres Brasserie, a dedicated pastry and other new treats, each more creative than the last, for you to enjoy at brunch on a Saturday or Sunday.
- As for the Michelin-starred Alcyone, it will be celebrating its anniversary on Tuesday, 17 October, the exact date when the restaurant opened in 2013, with a “10 Hands” dinner orchestrated by Lionel Lévy and his former kitchen acolytes.
- Lastly, the hotel couldn’t celebrate its 10th anniversary without honouring its loyal employees, including 15 staff members who have been a part of the adventure from the outset. Discover the video of this memorable event and follow the teams’ latest news on the hotel’s website!
Committing to the future
The InterContinental Marseille – Hotel Dieu has already distinguished itself with many CSR (corporate social responsibility) actions, for example by becoming the first hotel in Marseille to earn the Green Key label in 2021, which it has since renewed each year, and by serving as the pilot hotel in 2022 for the programme “Towards a zero single-use plastic hotel”, developed by the Monaco-based association Beyond Plastic Med (BeMed).
- This hard work and these commitments will only be strengthened this year, with the reinforcement of recycling procedures and the use of water coolers, amongst other decarbonization initiatives that are currently being considered. The staff are also involved through rubbish cleanup activities in parks, reduced printing on paper and so on… because small gestures can have a big impact on our planet! The hotel is also advising La Badira, a 5-star hotel in Tunisia, on its elimination of single-use plastic, again through the actions of Beyond Plastic Med.
- Finally, the InterContinental Marseille – Hotel Dieu is committed to the next generation by sponsoring the “Illustration & Narration” class at ESDAC, Marseille’s School of Design, Applied Arts and Communication, whose students are already working on a creative project linked to the hotel’s 10th The students visited the hotel this past January to draw inspiration from a glimpse behind the scenes and an introduction to some of the unexpected professions in hospitality. Be sure to visit our website toward the end of June to see the fruit of their labour.